Tuesday Jan - 4th no mention of ongoing demonstrations in Global news media
Again by coincidence I found myself at Thela, I had got onto the bus to Haidra, but the driver knew he couldn't pass through Thela. He stopped the bus stopped just before town and everyone got off. SAW A "RIOT" I could see there was a demonstration with tear gas and stone throwing 300m down the street. I knew the drill "if you are a tourist you don't hang around demonstrations, you walk in the opposite direction", so I avoided it by walking through the west side of town.
- Jesus it looked dumb to me ..people seemed to be throwing stones at police, that's stupid : police have guns and it's easy to see how police might shoot back .. No wonder one guy had already been shot.
- Anyway, just like I had seen during the war in Yugoslavia normal life was going on 2 blocks away from the trouble. In 15 minutes I had got to the other side and taken a louage out to Haidra archaeological site.
- Just as we arrived on the edge of town the bus stopped and we all got off. No one explained anything, but we could hear the noise. 100m further on I could see clouds of tear gas and hear cracks which were probably the tear gas rounds. Crowds were running down the distant streets.
- An old man said I should abandon Haidra and sleep at his house. Since it as only 10;30am I said no. I followed the school kids and walked 500m west around the trouble. I saw a couple of 14 year old boys throwing stones and it's my guess that probably what most of this "riot" was just immature boys playing the "look at me, I am tough game"
- Anyway by coincidence again I found myself at the louage station which was on the north side of the police line, and the louage to Haidra was just ready to leave.