|(just like Far off places)
NATURAL way is not necessarily best
: just like people are romantic about the "noble savage", believing that he lives in complete balance with nature, they also have paleo fantasy believing that evolution took us to a place where humans were completely in balance with nature
"We evolved to eat berries rather than bagels, to live in mud huts rather than condos, to sprint barefoot rather than play football—or did we? Are our bodies and brains truly at odds with modern life? Although it may seem as though we have barely had time to shed our hunter-gatherer legacy, biologist Marlene Zuk reveals that the story is not so simple. Popular theories about how our ancestors lived—and why we should emulate them—are often based on speculation, not scientific evidence."
..but she points out evolution is not a DESIGN it's a kind of TINKERING .. those that can cope with the conditions at the time get through. Yes kids TODAY getting fat and sick cos they are sitting all day in front of the PC drinking coke, but if they took enough exercise they wouldn't be fat or sick even with all the coke and PC time. It's not just a case of taking the kids back to a lifestyle of 150 years ago, cos yes maybe only 10% would be fat, 40% would be fit & thin, but the other 50% would be dead.
- Some humans did evolve to drink milk, almost all to eat cooked food, ( 2 different sets of genes in different people, so that selection happened in
2 different places)
- actually we continually evolve
Technology is a good shortcut to better life ..do you want to give up plumbing cos it's not natural ?
- So Paleo-diet is a load of rubbish ..what is ideal place and time, cos very different but humans still coped ..and not same food is available today.
- People say natural is best .. processed food is evil
- OK let's take away butter, cheese, tea, coffee, bread, .. oh can't drink coke ..it's artifical ..hang on does that mean we take away wine and beer also ?
- It's impossible to say humans are naturally warlike like chimps ..or sexs crazy like Bobobos ..in different circumstances in places or time either might work, there is not always one way, there is not an easy definition of gender roles etc.
Selection is not always the same as evolution
Not just a case of saying paleo food was better ..you could do science also
People want a magic solution, but IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE ! ..it's complex
- From skepticallyspeaking.ca
BOOK LINK"We didn't evolve this way ?"