you do get that feeling of knowing on acid ..as if the gatekeepers have suddenly approved ..that feeling you knew all along
- Theory : we feel we can't say that 2 choices are pretty much the same. we have to have a feeling that one is correct.
says maybe it evolved as a reward system to keep us motivate to learn.
- (I covered this last week in choice anxiety - when actually either outcome would have been OK.)
* "once we have a thought connected to
a feeling of correctness, it's hard to undo"
mechanism a neuron fires, but you can't tell the chain that led up to that ..only the fact that it fired
*- we have been educated to pick a BLACK/WHITE answer
*different people have different tolerences to the "knowing dopamine"
nuture effects the expression also
- feelings like knowing is a sensation like surprise, fear etc. we don't have conscious control over them
- you can't control it anymore than you can stop feeling pain when you cut your finger off
but alcoholics can overcome the feeling of thirst
- Nodules not modules :
not discrete modules of decision making but rather nodules on a network
- I disagree with him about remembering the friends house. He says you already know the house that why you remember the door. I say you remember the green door without remembering the house.
- you don't own your thoughts..they come from society
.. same as me saying that we are all prisoners of our culture.
(she says - "we have truths in our minds we have no control of" ..but that's the same as above )
- but diminished responsibility is not real cos it's same for all of us ..it's upto us to police our actions not just to blame our subconsciousness.
- there is a difference between inate tendencies and
predicting actual behaviours.
- in the twin studies, it was found that what they said
they wanted to do and what they did were not the same
- We have never been able to analyse reasoning properly : We con ourselves, cos our mental limitations make it impossible to accept our mental limitations
- We are overwired to see cause and effect, when a pattern recognition gets to a certain level it becomes accepted as fact
- Like the Google Suggestion Box He talks abut waking up with a new idea ..not result of logic ..they are not special thoughts ..just the result of background computation