- When Eden project man Tim Smith was to give a short lecture on Radio 4 pushing his energy independence plan for Cornwall, the BBC hyped his cause by including a lengthy explanation on the BBC news website with of course a leading headline UK 'must believe in energy revolution' ...
they wouldn't do this if he was a skeptic.
- He tries to pit science against imagination : talks about dreams .e.g we can make Cornwall independent in energy
he's lost the connection between dreams & reality.
- My Debunk : What at first seems like a good idea can be easily demolished.
- Logic of the dreamer not the thinker ... What Tim Smith is really saying is "Don't buy Cornish products, boycott them in favour of stuff from your own area . Don't come to the Eden Project ....go to the your own local Eco- park."
- only use local energy, but why would you if imported is cheaper? As Matt Ridley said under capitalisn self sufficiency= poverty. You do what you are good at & exchange for what others are good at and the whole pot is bigger.
- The reason Cornwall took off in the first place was cos they could bring in the coal
capitalism works cos you don't have to rely on being on self sufficient.
- If Cornish energy is easy & cheap well then of course use it that's why there geothermal is already used . Check if Cornwall is not an exporter of geothermal. Yep if you need to pump water to your farms watertank then maybe use wind, but why bother to power your TV with solar panels if you can buy electricity off the gas powerplant in Devon for 1/10th the price. If Cornwall gets gas are we supposed to say don't buy it ?
Are we supposed no we won't buy Cornwall's geothermal.
- He says "people shouldn't put up with funding the criminal profits of the big energy companies we should be get together & buy enery in bulk & form mutuals like Welsh water" ..he's unaware people pay so much more with Welsh water than in London etc.
- He did make a good point on IP -
instead of keeping quiet you could put your idea into a foundation, which put together the jigsaw .. however logistical nightmare ? In a way that's what corps like Google do, look after their employees so everyone pitches in.
- So you can talk about the Conservative newspapers, the labour newspaper & the green-left media conglomerate.