- March 2009 .. after listening to the BBC Forum prog
- We make the world better and better by using reason and logic. Religion is very bad, cos it sets a precedent of encourages us to stop using logic and "Just Accept". .To stop asking the questions which start the process of reason and logic etc... and so holds society back when rational thought would help us move forward.
Religion vs Logic
One of the main things in society that doesn't make it's arguments through logic is religion religion doesn't do justice to reality as it seeks to oversimplify
i.e. it's natural that men will make the decisions, natural that people are monogamous... When life
is much more diverse.
Religion has Dogma instead of rational argument. They say, "IT is this way don't question it".
Galileo + Shakespeare both say - God gave us the ability to reason so we aren't expect to switch it off.
Unfortunately they often paint themselves into the corner like in the evolution debate.. When archaeologists can prove the Earth is much more than 6000 years old, Religion has no system to deal with new information.
Religion is actually a system of Terrorism - the believers are kept in a state of terror "do this or something bad will happen !" ..
Does it say in the great books, stop slavery, give equal rights to women and all races ? :NO rational thought has brought us this
Science & Rational Thought progresses - religion just stays the same
- March 2009
- In the BBC Forum prog Indian mathematician said it's very important to teach children the skill of thinking for themselves
- Religion is very bad cos it teaches children to stop thinking for themselves, questioning and using logic.
Prof Richard Dawkins says religion is "the root of all evil", I'm inclined to agree with his statement. Notice I did put that in quotation marks cos he's not using the word "all" to mean 100% , as it's a pun on the popular saying "money is the root of all evil". He's saying religion is responsible for a lot if not most evil as religious people have often killed others "in the name of their God". If they hadn't had been religious they would have had no reason to kill people. And continue to oppress people in an irrational way.
Dawkins Essay : extrapolates to - is organized religion the computer Virus of the mind ?
If there was a Devil.. he would be happy to see all the killing, corruption and exploitation that happens in the name of religion. Holy wars, temples full of gold with the poor outside, undemocratic - ruling by an all male elite
Not only does religion provide a reason for violence and killing, a lot of people use the special status it has to hide behind. When a priest steals money etc. You can't criticise him ..cos then you'd be criticising religion.
This is the basis of his arguments .. they seem logical to me ..for more detail he writes whole books about the matter.
Richard Dawkins new lecture on ABC Background Briefing : - pretty good -"God is bastard look at all the evil things he gets people to do" .. burn their own daughter, stone a man to death for collecting sticks etc
background : Good satirical article about Living your life according to the Bible : Ask Dr. Laura at www.stallman.org
Classic Quotes Criticising Religion
"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness, that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind." - Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason, 1794-1795.)
And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.
-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823
I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of... Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all."- Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason, 1794-1795.)
"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."--Benjamin Franklin, _Poor_Richard_, 1758
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."--Benjamin Franklin, _Poor_Richard_, 1758
"I cannot conceive otherwise than that He, the Infinite Father, expects or requires no worship or praise from us, but that He is even infinitely above it." -- Benjamin Franklin, _Articles_Of_Belief_and_Acts_of_Religion_, Nov.20, 1728
John Lennon said before in Imagine his song
in favor of peace and against religion and nationalism
Imagine there's no heaven,|
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only Sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...
Imagine there's no countries,|
It isn't hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the world
livinglife in peace...
Jesus Was Against Promoting Your Own Family
Clearly says in 4 gospels everyone is your brother and sister. Now many people claim to lead their lives by the Bible, which is strange cos in different gospels the same story comes out different. Usually all you can say is that tale grows in the telling so the earlier versions are more truthful. Yet in this one instance where they agree Christians seem to ignore them all. It's astounding to see people especially in Latin America putting their own family members ahead of other people. Actually I am against organized religion, but I do agree with Jesus in this. The idea of all humans being equal is a good teaching.
I was listening to the Infidel Guy 26/9/07 He had the Iranian expert talking about his book the Psychology of Mohammed not super professional, but some provoking things like the Koran says yes I have all the knowledge of the world, but then when it talks about astronomy it makes many statements as facts which science proved wrong. His premise was that Mo was just a sly cult leader out for himself. Hence had many women as well as his 11 wives.
Raped as he told his followers that is OK to take the wives of defeated enemies. Also disturbing incident with his own daughter in law.
The expert claimed the Koran is full of hate statements, like don't be friends with Jews and Christians, huge sections are about what terrible things will happen to unbelievers yet there is little on how to make a better world.
- BBC Making History prog ....One last thing - it was Britain that BANNED slavery for the first time in the history of the world (it was not banned by God in the bible or by the Greeks in Plato's Athens, or by the Eygptians in the so-called 'Cradle of Civilisation') - hence the year 2007 being the anniversay of a uniquely British achievement. Moreover were it not for the strength of the British navy and Empire the slave trade into Europe and out of Africa would have continued for at least another 100 years (and only continued in America and elsewhere due to the decline of British influence). "
|Is religion evil ? they have vast resources
|- The established religious organisations like the Catholic Church seem to have a vast portfolio of money, property and resources. Are they really using their vast resources effectively ?
- Yes a certain number of working hours and resources are spent in teaching in hospital work, but a huge percentage are not. Ostentacious bishops robes don't exactly send a message of equality and help the poor.
- If you could cut out all those hours praying and in ceremony the time could be used for more beneficial things like medical research.
- And look no religions seem to be organised in a democratic way ..they seem to be organised by unelected people who are usually male.
- I see Penn and Teller made a programme "The Catholic Church is bullshit" and some American politicians have tried to get it banned
|Interesting link Freedom From Religion Foundation
Adelaide Meetings Humanist Meeting 2nd Fridays
IG interview .. Roman contemporary records don't talk about Jesus