|IDEA capitalism 2.0
- Something will come in between capitalism and state ... public service sector for NPV National Trust etc , Not For Profits etc
|I see February is Brighton Science Festival
- I see February is Brighton Science Festival with events everyday : Scientists doing standup, hands on activities, kids stuff, inventions, custard, quilts, atronomy, bees etc.
Brighton Science Festival, FB
Festival Director Richard Robinson worked in TV for many years, as a founding member of Spitting Image
I wish I was in Brighton not staying in the desert up here
- Broken Ground Symposium sounds boring about prints
- I see February is Brighton Science Festival with events everyday
inc hands on activities, kids stuff, Not too much for me,
I wish I was in Brighton not staying up here in the non-metropolitan desert , where nothing happens & there's no transport.
some highlights :
Thu 16th Bright Club is the international phenomenon where researchers perform stand-up comedy about their work £5
19 FESTIVAL OF THE SPOKEN NERD £8
21 CAFE SCIENTIFIQUE: FONE FUN good guy
22 SIMPLY BRILLIANT Bayliss etc £8
23 MAPPINESS - SUSSEX ENTERPRISE INSPIRATIONAL BREAKFAST, free
23 THE SCIENCE OF BEES
23 CATALYST CLUB GOES CUDDLY £5 custard etc
25 BIG SCIENCE SATURDAY - many 15 minute talks
28 BRIGHTON SKEPTICS: SKEPTICAL REVIEW OF 2011
|Brain Logic : cheats & interesting stuff
on the radio/TV in the last 24 hours
- Turing showed that complex things like a tigers stripes & a leopards spots can be represented by a simple equation with different seed numbers. (Channel 4 britains-greatest-codebreaker)
- So quite complex data can be represented by simple equations, so maybe an image of you and your dog can be represented by an even smaller amount than current jpg files. And is this how the brain works to process such vast amounts of data. Does it have a system to reduce things down to pattern equations ?.. could you store massive amount of memory in an equation
- This morning Nicky Clayton the bird brain expert was saying it's amazing that crow family birds have such intelligence compared with birds with similar brain size and hypothesised that crows have evolved similar brain tricks to humans brains. BBC Radio 4 prog
- This further suggests that there are brain logic "cheats" for handling complex data.
|- How do the neutrinos seem to move faster than light ? I hypothesise that Cern neutrino faster than light was a Newton's cradle effect
#neutrinos #CERN #physics
maybe in a line of #neutrinos one hit backs of line front one moves instantly, illusion of gaining instant distance #CERN #physics
|Good Web design
|- good site design but bollocks content
- http://www.bransbyhorses.co.uk/ clear design
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/default.stm - new design, clear but amateur
- breakingheels.com - very smart website - Transformer heels so you can look elegant then flip and walk comfortably home.. dates back to at least 2007 and many companies - an idea so obvious I wonder why I never thought of it myself
- on a check the webpage has problems common to over fancy designs ...like it actually doesn't fit on my normal PC screen
- Fruit growing on the roadside is not full of dangerous stuff .... study quoted on R4 Questions Questions
- Interesting : "The left always looking for traitors, the right always looking for converts." ...well does anyone ever convert from right to left ?
- what is the chance we won't have fusion power by 2050 ? 2100 ?
- people were talking about the accurate predictions from 100 years ago ...and asking people too predict next 100 years..nothing interesting except : "Marriage will be replaced by an annual contract"
script that can download youtube etc
- smoking cigarettes doesn't cause lung cancer, it's one of the factors which makes you more vulnerable to the virus which cause it
|A trick from the Manchester Science Podcast
Matt Parker could guess XY the 2 digit numbers from the calculator answer of their cube written FEDCBA
- I could see the last digit Y will correspond to the cube of itself 1=1, 8 means 2, 7 means 3 etc.
but I had to look up how to get the first
- Now you can see that Y cubed has a maximum value of 729 so it doesn't effect the tens of thousands column
- Only X effects FED so you just look what range it falls
range of cubes 1=1, 8=2, 27=3, 64=4, 125=5, 216=6, 343=7, 512=8, 729=9, 1000=10
e.g. 250047 ..250 is below 343 so X=6,
7 cubed=343 so Y=3
so the number is 63
even more simply for XY cubed to make FEDCBA
- "A"the last digit of the answer corresponds to Y cubed only
& FED corresponds to X cubed only (as even if Y=9 it's cube is only 729 & can't influence the tens of thousands column)
of course when you've done it a few times you'll find you'll automatically know Y straight away from looking at "A"