I wrote them up in the travel blog so full details are there on postcards 454t, 454t etc.
- 1. Lecture - Securitisation for your security - in Cambridge
- I think she was lost in her own jargon
- A principle of argument is to define your terms - She didn't do this.
- The interest wasn't explained until someone asked : security the US invaded Iraq to increase security of US
- result is increased insecurity in Iraq.- more pc454t
- 2. Sat- 18 - Anarchist Bookfair
- - disappointing; as usual the anarchists were disorganised though the cabaret was good.
- 3. Why intuition really works - BRILLIANT : Gerd Gigerenzer - Lecture about Gut Feeling and Intuition - was revolutionary
- I was amazed what this guy has come up is absolutely revolutionary ...and it's not Mickey Mouse itís the top selling science book in Germany and in the UK Science bodies have nominated it for awards. -
My Summary- intuition is better than logic cos it is actually logic, but it often seems appears out of thin air so we don't understand what the background logic is.
see more pc454t
- 4. Jon Rosen@ skeptics - nice bloke, bit wet
- 5. Tuesday - Lecture on Conspiracy Theories
@ Goldsmiths parapsychology research lectures - nothing amazing.. Monbiot says "Conspiracy Theories let you of the hook giving you the excuse to do nothing" - this makes sense, whereas Monbiot doesn't normally pc455t
- 4. Geologist Duncan Wingham with some Climate realism Basically pooh poohing he spoke on how outsiders don't understand complex science so make stupid assumtions. Explained like how water can be liquid at -40C etc
- 5. Lecture by Jack Straw Minister of Justice
: Punishment and Reform @ the Royal Society
pc456t - Jack had to do his His Daily Mail speech "more prisons !"
- Look 150 years ago John Howard said punishment doesn't work, you need to get people on board so they don't even think of committing crime. Modern scientists say humans don't really respond to punishment, they respond to reward.
- The Fire of London led to the starting of the insurance instustry and therefore London becoming a strong centre for the finance business.
- 6. Inflammation Problems cos we don't have old Bacteria and Parasites - Inflammation Problems cos we don't have old Bacteria and Parasites BRILLIANT IDEAS.. more pc456t
- 7. Paranoia: The 21st Century Fear @Darwin Centre .."In a new book, Paranoia: The 21st Century Fear, Daniel Freeman and Jason Freeman explore the causes of our fears, identifying the psychological, social, and cultural factors that seem to be skewing the way we think and feel about the world around us."
They are wrong they are just bigging up paranoia to sell books pc456t
- 8. can't study humans without studying history around them
- I disagreed with Roger Smith from his 2007 Book Being Human (Philosophy) cos he said Science is dependent on cultural context, but I argue there is pure truth in science. pc457t
- 9. Lecture : Archaeology and the Bible - A Broken Link ? pc457t
boring for me cos full of people who want to prove the bible.
- 10. -the Tribes of Arunchal Pradesh @ SOAS pc457t
- He seemed to say you can't save indigenous culture
- good book about fallacy in arguments The Duck That Won the lottery Julian Baggini