- Cold does really give you a cold. The prof from the Common cold research institute said
they always thought it was an old wives tale as cold is a virus, but when they did an experiment where they got students to stand in a bucket of cold water for 10 minutes, the number of colds was twice the control group. He put it down to cold reducing blood flow in the skin, so reducing blood flow in the nose, so reducing the number of white cells tackling viruses in the nose, so the viruses multiplied more. (Material World)
- Pasteur said "science is global language"
- NS - Why Cats can Survive Falls - they relax muscles, have 4 legs and they fall on their ribcage which hurts, but absorbs impact like a spring. So when you fall try to fall on your ribs ?
- Karl talked about using shake to power devices e.g. Ideas - shakeable phone
- windup phone (windup charger are available)
- Bionic ear inventor is mad says brain is so complex only God could have invented it. He's smart, but nuts
- "Homeopathy Works, but it's impossible to prove it ! - I came across a homeopathic website - In a serious academic paper it argued it could never win in a randomised trial like the one James Randi will give the $1m prize for, as it' impossible to prove the effects are not a placebo i.e. you can't prove a negative .
- That's rubbish it's the same way all other medicines are tested. Placebo effect is a way of explaining why 1 in 20 studies succeed. If 18 out of 20 trials succeeded then it wouldn't be placebo
ABC Patent law
- 1- it was created to help technology progress. Before people would keep their inventions secret.
-2- other guy said it was difficult cos people would keep claiming that you are infringing their patent e.g. you can't make a 3 legged chair cos they have a patent on all chairs. Many ideas have 5 patents.
... But surely this is just a question of proper governance of patents.
Williams claims he still uses a typewriter for scripts ? ?